The weight-loss industry is a multi-billion Dollar industry worldwide and one of the most popular diet programs is the low carb lifestyle. Made famous by the book Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, the program achieved great popularity in the 1990’s, which was dubbed by the media as the low carb craze in the United States. But what is it really?
The Low carb diet is a way of eating that lessens your intake of bad carbohydrates. The main premise of the program is you reduce or eliminate your intake of white bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, desserts, and other sweets.
There are usually two reasons why people have the low carb lifestyle. One is to treat obesity and the other is for the prevention of further complications of chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases. It has been one of the most widely used methods of weight-loss for many individuals across the globe as most people lose a significant amount of weight in a short period of time.
However, the low carb lifestyle has also received its own sets of criticisms and controversies. One of these is that the lifestyle reduces or eliminates the importance of exercise. It has also been said that sharply reducing your carbohydrate intake will make you weak-that you won’t have enough energy to do any physical activities. Others say that the low carb lifestyle is just a fab diet and that it doesn’t actually work.
Despite its many criticisms many people still practice the lifestyle and it is still one of the most popular diet programs in the world. If you want to give it a try, you don’t have to drastically change the way you eat in an instant. You can start slow and gradually make the switch as your body begins to adapt to the changes.
Here are 5 ways to start a low carb lifestyle today:
- Eliminate or reduce foods with white flour, sugar, or starch. If you must eat rice, choose brown rice. If you must have sugar, look for other alternatives such as honey.
- Instead of relying on carbohydrates to fill you up, eat lean meats instead. Eat chicken, fish, eggs, or even tofu.
- Snack on low carb treats such as peanuts and almonds. Fruits are discouraged during the initial two-week stage since they can contribute to water retention. Snacking is highly encouraged since this will help curb hunger and reduce cravings.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking a lot of water will also help reduce your carbohydrate cravings.
- Once you’re out of the two-week jump start period, you can then add healthy carbs to your diet, such as fresh fruits like apple and blueberries, and whole grains such as wheat.
As with anything you do with your body, you always have to do your own research. There are many books and online resources that provide daily menus for those who want to do the low carb lifestyle. It doesn’t really have significant negative side effects since you’re not placing artificial chemicals in your body unlike other weight-loss programs. If you want to lose some weight and have a healthier body, then why not give the low carb lifestyle a try?